- I bribed a traffic official $2.13 (Rs.100) at the airport to watch my car so I could run into the terminal and fetch my lost American friend
- Meenal watched and graded the delivery of a baby (failing grade) as well as a sterilization (near perfect score) in a government hospital in rural Rajasthan
- A grandmother in the labor room wished that her newborn granddaughter die leaving Meenal speechless. This was the fifth girl in the family as they had been trying to get a son.
- Our $4000 car needed $650 (Rs.30,000) in major repairs due to a missing drain cover inside our apartment complex
- We’ve visited family and friends in Mumbai (Bombay), Kolkata (Calcutta), Ajmer (Rajasthan) and several parts of Delhi and enjoyed most of it
- We’ve learnt to drive on Delhi roads – send a confident ‘don’t cross’ message when you spot pedestrians, beware of vehicles bigger than you, and don’t take people cutting you off personally
- When I want a glass of water, I have caught myself looking around for the housekeeper
- We’ve attended several weddings – an experience so boring that I’m contemplating a complete ban on all future attendance
- After we caught 2 rats in the air conditioning ducts, we’ve experienced
no further visitsa revisit from the rodent
- We came very close to fatal traffic accident and each of the 5 passengers treated the incident as a minor annoyance
One year in India
Nov 1, 2010 - Oct 31, 2011After 12 years in Massachusetts, why did we return to India (R2I) in 2010? How is life in Gurgaon? Are we staying?
Delhi Ledger is a year long experiment to decide where 'home' should be - India only, India and America or America only. If you are confused like us, happy reading!
Who are we?