Rent + $2100 per month
- Domestic travel – Meenal and I took a vacation in Ladakh. May be one of the most beautiful places we’ve ever seen.
- Clothes – we didn’t take enough warm clothes to Ladakh thinking that it’ll be warm. Surprisingly we found good American and European brands for outer wear at very good prices.
- Groceries – My mother-in-law started giving us lots of fruit every time we visited and she refuses to get paid for it. So it won’t be happening any longer.
- Utils – I started using a smaller room for hanging out and the air conditioning bill went down. Also, we made fewer international calls since we were traveling for 10 days.
- Domestic travel – We vacationed in Kasauli in Himachal Pradesh. Getting there was cheap since we took the train but accommodation was relatively expensive.
- Clothes – Meenal needed more Salvar Kameez for work
- Domestic travel – We visited a close friend in Kolkata
- Eating out higher – We’ve found some good restaurants and people
- Air/Rail/Bus higher – Visited our friend in Kolkata to see him and his new born, Attended a graduation of a close friend in Hyderabad
- Same notes about fees and charges from February
- Our cheap car has started showing its stripes racking up over $200 worth of repairs
- Unsure why grocery expenses went up so much
- We were traveling internationally for 10 days. Expenses NOT included here.
- Due to the international travel, I stocked up on Duty Free alcohol ($233)
- We were confused about how the credit card company’s website worked so we ended up paying seriously high fees and charges
- We fired our old driver and got a new one 10 days later. The staff salaries went down temporarily as a result.
- Meenal will soon write about her experience getting medical treatment in Delhi ($120)
- Eating out in Delhi – expenses are back up after my father in law figured out that I was fleecing him. And we know of more restaurants now.
- Maintenance of car – our apartment complex’s sloppiness caused our car to fall into a drain inside the parking lot. We are waiting for the complex to pay us back for it. Moving to India is not fun all the time.
- Eating out expenses down – I started inviting my father in law to all the expensive dinners. By Indian custom, he’s on the hook to pay (being the eldest). I think he’s catching on to my sneakiness. Aah, the joys of relocating to India.
- Groceries went down – November was high since it was our first month in our apartment after moving to India (r2i).
- Staff salaries went down – My driver took off on unpaid leave for 10 days
These expenses do NOT include:
- Rent – To learn about rents in Delhi, India, read Money: Please don’t compare New York’s cost of living with Delhi or Mumbai
- Setup expenses in India (one-time capital costs) – For detailed setup expenses for our apartment in Gurgaon, read Money: Cost of living in India – setup expenses for 2BR apartment